Saturday, July 19, 2008

Cusco Hike + Cathedral

I am seriously much too tired to be extremely enthusiastic about blogging, but I have wanted to write since yesterday. It didn't work out since I didn't have the proper privacy and, earlier today, I got distracted by The Incredibles in Spanish on TV when I was about to go to the Internet Cafe . Tomorrow is a free day for us where we have no class, no tours, no hikes, no service, or anything. But! It's homework day. I haven't started my Spanish diario. I also have a test on Monday. Oh well. Everyone wants to go clubbing, but I think I'm going to pass. I have about 15 minutes to decide.

Today was lovely. I don't think I've ever been so happy to be in Peru. We finally took our long awaited city tour of Cusco. We went to see the old Inca grounds where there was a battle with the Spaniards. Everything was absolutely gorgeous. We even drank fresh water that is apparently sacred. I'm not sure if it's the fountain of Fertility or the fountain of Youth. Hah. Neither seem helpful to me at the moment. I already look like I'm 10 and I also don't need any children.

Being in Peru is so refreshing. The more we saw today, the more glad I was that I didn't decide to go to China or Spain this summer instead. Peru is so natural, from the little part of it that I've seen. Geo said that Peru is great in the sense that it has everything: People who have technology, people who live in the desert, people who live by the mountains... so forth and so on. We're doing our Machu Picchu travel next week, I think. The last week we're here, we're traveling to about 76886567567 different places.

Peru is... well, it's certainly a country that knows how to speak to the soul extremely well. I like being in the mountains more than any place we've been to. I could probably sit there for a long time and find, after awhile, that it had cleansed something from me. I love that there is so much history and its presence continues to linger. I'm not sure how much the mountains and the paths have changed from the days when the Incans were roaming about. I hope that, aside from the actual city, the mountains and its presence continue to strongly connect us to something that is no longer tangible.

We also ended up seeing the Cathedral at the plaza that's pretty old. I'm not religious, really, and I'm certainly not Christian, but I can definitely appreciate the fine work they did. So intricate. I wish I could have taken pictures, but it was prohibited. The architecture was amazing and the decorations were even better. Apparently, it took 100 years to build the place and 30 years to decorate. Wow. There was one really elaborate wood piece there carved from one piece of wood. Whaaa?

I'll write about my first experience volunteering at the Orphanage later. Probably after I volunteer there on Monday again.

Chao, loves.

No comments: